The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office charged LaBeouf, 39, with three misdemeanor counts of simple battery
Credit: Chris Granger for The Times-Picayune/Nola.com
NEED TO KNOW
- Shia LaBeouf has been formally charged in connection with his alleged altercation at a New Orleans bar during Mardi Gras
- The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office has charged LaBeouf, 39, with three misdemeanor counts of simple battery
- The incident allegedly occurred after midnight on Feb. 17
Shia LaBeouf has been formally charged in connection with his alleged altercation at a New Orleans bar during Mardi Gras in February.
The Orleans Parish District Attorney’s Office charged LaBeouf, 39, with three counts of simple battery, according to court records filed in New Orleans on Thursday, May 21, and obtained by WWL and NOLA.com.
All three of the misdemeanor counts stem from LaBeouf's alleged altercation with several people on Mardi Gras on Feb. 17.
PEOPLE reached out to LaBeouf’s lawyer for comment on Saturday, May 23, but did not receive an immediate response.

Credit: Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office
LaBeouf was first arrested after the alleged confrontation and was initially charged with two counts of simple battery.
The Transformers alum was then arrested again and charged with an additional misdemeanor count of simple battery on Feb. 28, per the Associated Press and The Guardian.
In a hearing that month, LaBeouf was ordered to enroll in substance abuse treatment, undergo drug testing and post a $100,000 bond as conditions of his release. He then posted bond following the hearing and remains out of custody under the new terms.
Law enforcement sources told PEOPLE at the time that the incident took place after midnight outside a bar in the city’s French Quarter.
According to a New Orleans Police Department report previously obtained by PEOPLE, authorities claim the actor was ejected from a bar after causing a disturbance, at which point he struck one victim, left the scene and later returned to strike the same victim and assault a second person before police arrived.
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.
TMZ obtained video showing the shirtless actor receiving medical treatment from paramedics after the alleged scuffle outside a bar in the city.
He was taken to a hospital for treatment of unknown injuries, per the police report, and he was arrested upon his release.
One alleged victim previously told PEOPLE that he helped restrain the actor until police arrived. The man alleged that LaBeouf was “screaming at everybody” and “lunging at” patrons while also hurling homophobic slurs during the confrontation.
After his release, the Honey Boy writer-star was seen partying on Bourbon Street while holding his blue-and-white jail release paperwork in his mouth. He later wrote “Free me,” on his X account.
LaBeouf has been candid about his history with sobriety and addiction. He has been at the center of multiple controversies and arrested several times over the years, on charges of public intoxication, misdemeanor assault and disorderly conduct.
LaBeouf and on-and-off girlfriend Mia Goth welcomed a daughter in 2022. Years later, LaBeouf moved to New Orleans in hopes of finding a fresh start after his split from Mia Goth in 2025, a source told PEOPLE.
WWL reported that the penalties LaBeouf could face for the charges are currently unknown.
Read the full article here
