Authorities said surveillance footage showed the man alone before his death as they addressed questions surrounding the case
Credit: Getty
NEED TO KNOW
- A 32-year-old Black man was found hanging from a tree in North Carolina on Aug. 15
- Police say their investigation found no evidence of foul play in his death
- Surveillance footage showed the man alone shortly before the incident, according to the police chief
A 32-year-old Black man was found hanging from a tree in Raleigh, N.C., on Saturday, and police say an investigation has not turned up evidence of foul play in his death.
The Raleigh Police Department responded to a report of a person hanging from a tree at 318 S. McDowell St. on Saturday, Aug. 15. First responders removed the man from the tree and attempted life-saving measures, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
The circumstances surrounding his death prompted questions and speculation online, leading Raleigh Police Chief Rico Boyce to address the case during a news conference.
“We recognize that any loss of life is tragic, and that tragedies such as this understandably generate questions and concerns within our community,” Boyce said. “We also recognize the importance of addressing those concerns with facts, transparency, and respect for the young man and his family.”
Boyce said investigators reviewed traffic camera footage from the area and found that the man had been walking alone before the incident. The footage showed him walking toward the tree carrying an electrical cord, and later captured the incident, according to the chief.
“No one else is seen in the area when this incident occurred,” Boyce said.
A witness who worked nearby later reported seeing someone hanging in the tree to a supervisor. The two returned to the location and called 911, police said.
First responders from Wake County EMS and the Raleigh Fire Department arrived and began life-saving efforts. The man was pronounced dead at 3:07 p.m., according to police.
“Based upon the evidence collected and reviewed to date, investigators have found no evidence indicating that another person caused or contributed to the young man’s death, and no evidence of a criminal act has been identified,” Boyce said.
“Our investigation confirms that this is a suicide,” he added.
Boyce said the man’s mother told authorities that her son had struggled with mental health issues in the past.
Police have not released additional personal details about the man, citing respect for his family.
The department also addressed social media posts that questioned the circumstances of the death. Boyce said investigators were aware of posts alleging that what happened differed from what police had documented.
“Some of those posts contain information that is flat out inaccurate, misleading, or unsupported by the evidence currently available to investigators,” Boyce said.
Police urged people not to share unverified information, photographs, videos or speculation about the case.
“We strongly encourage members of the public to avoid sharing unverified information, photographs, videos, or speculation that could further traumatize this young man’s family or unnecessarily create fear and division within our community,” Boyce said.
Raleigh Mayor Janet Cowell also offered her condolences to the man’s loved ones during the news conference.
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
“I want to express my great sorrow as mayor for the death of one of our own under tragic circumstances. I want to extend my condolences to his friends and family,” Cowell said.
Although police say their investigation has found no evidence of foul play or a criminal act, the case remains under review by the Office of the Medical Examiner.
“As with all unattended or unexpected deaths, investigators are conducting a thorough investigation in coordination with the medical examiner’s office,” he said. “The final determination regarding the cause and manner of death will rest with the medical examiner.”
Police said anyone with firsthand information or evidence about the incident should contact the Raleigh Police Department directly rather than sharing information on social media.
If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health challenges, emotional distress, substance use problems, or just needs to talk, call or text 988, or chat at 988lifeline.org 24/7.
Read the full article here
