The deadly attack took place at Brinell School in Sweden on Friday, Aug. 21
Credit: Fredrik SANDBERG / TT NEWS AGENCY / AFP via Getty
NEED TO KNOW
- A 17-year-old girl was killed, and three boys were injured in a sword attack at Brinell School in Sweden
- The 18-year-old suspect, a former student, was arrested and charged with murder after a police standoff
- Authorities are investigating a TikTok account that posted photos of a sword-like object before the attack
A 17-year-old girl was killed in a sword attack at Brinell School in Sweden, local police have confirmed.
The police found the deceased student on school premises after entering the building following the attack in Fagersta, about 100 miles northwest of Stockholm, on Friday, Aug. 21, Swedish outlets Sydsvenskan, Dagens Nyheter and Aftonbladet reported.
Brinell School confirmed the death in a statement on Facebook: “The police have confirmed that a person has died after today’s tragic incident at Brinellskolan in Fagersta. Two people are seriously injured and another person is injured. All injured people are being treated at the hospital.”
The three injured victims were boys aged 12 to 17, and two of them underwent emergency surgery, according to a report from healthcare organization Region Västmanland. The victims have not been publicly identified at this time.

Credit: Fredrik SANDBERG / TT NEWS AGENCY / AFP via Getty
A person armed with a sword entered Brinell School and attacked multiple people on Friday, PEOPLE previously reported. The suspect entered the school around 2 p.m. local time wearing black clothes, a helmet and a mask covering their face, per Dagens Nyheter.
An 18-year-old man was arrested and charged with murder following a police standoff at the school around 15 minutes after the attack. The suspect’s name has not been publicly disclosed; however, they are a former student at the school, per Sydsvenskan and Dagens Nyheter, citing local police.
The police are investigating a TikTok account that posted four pictures of a sword-like object before the incident, per Aftonbladet. It is unclear if the user is related to the attack.
The area around Brinell School remains cordoned off following the attack, per Dagens Nyheter.
“Our thoughts go out to the relatives and loved ones of the deceased, the injured and those affected in various ways by what has happened,” said Brinell School. “Fagersta municipality is currently working on an FAQ focusing on the school and students’ situation after the incident at Brinellskolan.”

Credit: Fredrik SANDBERG / TT NEWS AGENCY / AFP via Getty
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson visited the site on Saturday, Aug. 22.
He said in a statement on X, “Today, a horrific act took place at Brinellskolan in Fagersta. Once again, an attack on a school that shakes both the local community and our entire country.”
“Our thoughts today go to them, and to their relatives and friends. We are also thinking of all the others who were at the school — students and school staff whose school day turned into a nightmare,” he added.
Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE’s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.
PEOPLE has reached out to the Swedish Police and Brinell School for further comment.
Read the full article here
