The Feb. 17 avalanche, which occurred in the area of Truckee, Calif., near Lake Tahoe, resulted in multiple skier fatalities with one person still missing
Anthony Edwards/San Francisco Chronicle via Getty
NEED TO KNOW
- Tahoe National Forest issued a nearly one-month closure of the Castle Peak area near Truckee, Calif., after a deadly avalanche occurred on Feb. 17
- Per a press release, the closure is necessary “to prioritize first responder access to the area” amid recovery efforts
- The avalanche resulted in the deaths of eight skiers, while one person is still missing
Tahoe National Forest has issued a full closure after a deadly avalanche struck the Castle Peak area of Truckee, Calif., near Lake Tahoe earlier this week, resulting in multiple fatalities.
In the days after the tragedy, which occurred on the morning of Tuesday, Feb. 17, U.S. Forest Service officials said the area would be closed from Friday, Feb. 20 to Sunday, March 15 in order to give first responders priority access as they work to recover the victims, according to a Feb. 19 press release.
“Tahoe National Forest has issued the closure of all National Forest lands and trails in the Castle Peak area,” the release states. It adds that members of the public are “prohibited” from entering the closure area during this time due to the “current instability of the snowpack and need to prioritize first responder access to the area.”

Nevada County Sheriff's Office/Facebook
Recovery operations will require the use of “snow machines, aircraft, various other heavy equipment and possibly explosives” in order to create a safer area for first responders and emergency personnel to conduct recovery efforts, per the release.
Tahoe National Forest Supervisor Chris Feutrier said in a statement that the safety of first responders is their "top priority" during this recovery mission as they "aid in the return of each victim to their families."

Nevada County Sheriff's Office/Facebook
Feutrier added, “Our deepest condolences to the families that have lost their loved ones from this tragic incident. Our sincere appreciation to all first responders, law enforcement and partners that are supporting this recovery.”
The exact Castle Peak Avalanche Closure will be in effect on National Forest lands from Castle Peak to the South Fork of Prosser Creek. Access to this area, including trails, is strictly prohibited during the closure period.
The Nevada County Sheriff's Office (NCSO), who has been leading the search and recovery efforts in the aftermath of the avalanche, shared the closure notice to their official Facebook account, noting that the action is necessary for “our ongoing avalanche victim recovery efforts and the safety of our teams and the general public.”
In response to one user noting that the closure is “almost a month” long, the NCSO said Tahoe National Forest officials could lift it earlier depending on the conditions. However, they reiterated that “this closure is a major public safety need and also helps keep our teams safer throughout the recovery process.”
Tahoe National Forest’s recent press release also stated, “The closure may be rescinded earlier if public safety measures are mitigated.”

AP Photos/Brooke Hess-Homeier
Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.
PEOPLE previously reported on the fifteen skiers — including 11 clients and four guides — who got caught in the slide while returning from a three-day backcountry skiing trip.
Authorities were first alerted of the avalanche in the Castle Peak area around 11:30 a.m. local time on Feb. 17, Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon said at a press conference the following day.
As of Feb. 20, six people were confirmed to have survived the avalanche, while eight people have been found dead, according to authorities. One person remains missing, but is presumed dead.
Read the full article here
