By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
  • Movies
  • Celebrity Style
  • The Kardashians
  • Celebrity Babies
  • Albums
NEWSLETTER
Live the Gossip
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • More Articles
Reading: Karmelo Anthony: Inside the ‘Gentlemen’s Agreement’ to Keep Damaging Info Out of Murder Trial Amid ‘Unprecedented’ Death Threats
Share
Search
Live the GossipLive the Gossip
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • More Articles
Search
  • News
  • Celebrity
  • Gossip
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • More Articles
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Live the Gossip > Lifestyle > Karmelo Anthony: Inside the ‘Gentlemen’s Agreement’ to Keep Damaging Info Out of Murder Trial Amid ‘Unprecedented’ Death Threats
Lifestyle

Karmelo Anthony: Inside the ‘Gentlemen’s Agreement’ to Keep Damaging Info Out of Murder Trial Amid ‘Unprecedented’ Death Threats

Written by: News Room Last updated: August 21, 2026
Share

Anthony, 19, is appealing his 35-year sentence for murdering Austin Metcalf.

Karmelo Anthony
Credit: Texas Department of Criminal Justice

NEED TO KNOW

  • A “gentlemen’s agreement” between attorneys kept damaging details about both Karmelo Anthony and Austin Metcalf out of the murder trial
  • New evidence revealed Anthony’s alleged fixation with knives and Metcalf’s history of racist behavior and fighting
  • The case drew national attention amid racial tensions and death threats targeting the families, lawyers and courthouse staff

An informal “gentlemen’s agreement” between the prosecution and defense kept potentially damaging information out of Karmelo Anthony’s murder trial — information that concerned both the defendant and his victim, Austin Metcalf.

Anthony, 19, was convicted in June and sentenced to 35 years in prison for fatally stabbing Metcalf at a 2025 high school track meet in Frisco, Texas. He’s appealing his conviction and has spent this week in court arguing for a new trial, in part because he says the breakdown of the “gentleman’s agreement” kept him from testifying in his own defense.

The hearings have brought to light considerable new information that was never presented at trial.

That’s because the prosecution and defense came to an informal “gentlemen’s agreement” to keep certain information that might impugn the character of both Anthony and Metcalf out of the trial, the Dallas Morning News reported last month. Some of the details of the agreement have been coming to light in court this week.

Perhaps most notably, prosecutor Bill Wirskye revealed in court that just hours before fatally stabbing Metcalf in the heart, Anthony’s ex-girlfriend reported to an assistant principal that he was stalking her and refusing to let her end their relationship, WFAA reported.

He also said that Anthony had sent his ex a text saying he was “lowk on the verge,” WFAA reported.

Wirskye also told the court that Anthony had a fixation with knives, allegedly sending his girlfriend a text that he would lick blood off of his knife. Fox 4 reported.

Damaging information on Metcalf was also withheld from trial as a result of the gentlemen’s agreement. Anthony’s lawyer Mike Howard detailed an offense report claiming that Metcalf had sprayed racist and offensive graffiti, including the N-word, “Kill all Black people,” and “Heil Hitler,” KERA reported. Messages and videos on Metcalf’s phone also reportedly showed a “pervasive picture of a racist outlook,” including instances of using the N-word, the lawyer said.

Metcalf allegedly had a history of getting into fights, while Anthony showed an intense interest in fighting, KERA and Fox 4 reported.

The gentlemen’s agreement supposedly would have kept the trial exclusively about the events under the tent where Metcalf was stabbed, Wirskye testified, per Fox 4.

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for PEOPLE’s free True Crime newsletter for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.

In an affidavit cited by the Dallas Morning News last month, Howard said Wirskye considered the agreement breached after Howard mentioned during opening statements that Anthony was in the chess club, straying beyond the events under the tent. Howard said that raised the risk that prosecutors could introduce previously excluded evidence about Anthony if he testified, leading the defense to keep him off the stand. Anthony’s lawyers now argue that decision severely damaged his chances of acquittal.

Anthony’s case rested on his contention that he stabbed Metcalf because he feared for his life at the time. Anthony’s lawyer Toby Shook said in court Friday that the lack of his client’s testimony “detrimentally impacted” the defense, per Fox 4.

The agreement came about amid exceptionally heightened tensions in a case that gained national attention and became highly politicized along racial lines — Anthony is Black and Metcalf was White.

Wirskye said in court, per Fox 4, that an “unprecedented” number of death threats came in to various parties in the case. In one instance, Metcalf’s family was “swatted,” he said, while in another Anthony’s family was followed by a group of armed white people. A judge who granted a reduced bond to Anthony received death threats, as did defense attorney Howard, Wirskye said.

So many bomb threats were called into the courthouse that employees had to learn new protocols for how to respond, Wirskye added, per the outlet.

Read the full article here

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Previous Article Meghan Markle’s acting plans across the pond revealed ahead of UK comeback
Next Article Meghan Markle’s ‘perfect’ Bleusalt T-shirt is on sale for up to 40% off
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Join Us for the latest celebrity news

Don't Miss Out

Latest News

New

Grandmother of 5 Who Disappeared in Las Vegas Found Dead Near Airport, Family Says

Meghan Markle’s ‘perfect’ Bleusalt T-shirt is on sale for up to 40% off

Karmelo Anthony: Inside the ‘Gentlemen’s Agreement’ to Keep Damaging Info Out of Murder Trial Amid ‘Unprecedented’ Death Threats

Meghan Markle’s acting plans across the pond revealed ahead of UK comeback

You Might Also Like

Lifestyle

Micropreemie, Who Was Given a 10% Chance of Survival at Birth, Goes Home After More Than One Year in the NICU (Exclusive)

Baby Safir was born at 22 weeks, weighing just…

Writen by News Room July 29, 2026
Lifestyle

Brandi Glanville Says She Has a ‘Benign Tumor’ in Her Face, 2 Weeks After Sharing That Her Facial ‘Parasite’ Is Back

"I can wear makeup for like 15 minutes, and…

Writen by News Room June 24, 2026
Lifestyle

Will There Be a “Criminal Minds” Season 20? Inside the Future of the Long-Running Procedural

‘Criminal Minds: Evolution’ was renewed for season 20 in…

Writen by News Room July 24, 2026
Lifestyle

Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Absent from Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce's Wedding

Swift and Kelce tied the knot on July 3…

Writen by News Room July 4, 2026
Live the Gossip

Follow us to get the latest gossip, entertainment news and updates and more...

FACEBOOK
SPOTIFY
YOUTUBE
RSS
  • News
  • Entertainment
  • Gossip
  • Celebrity
  • The Kardashians
  • Royal Family
  • Celebrity Babies
  • Film & TV
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • For Advertisers
  • Contact

2024 © Prices.com LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?